Saturday, April 13, 2013

The view from Straits

We have been living at Straits View since Easter weekend. Moving day was hot and ridiculously long. We pushed thru and got it all finished in one day. Easter morning I was able to cook a real breakfast for my family! We had biscuits and gravy, bacon and eggs! Cody and the kids ate like it was their last meal! It was a pretty good feeling being able to cook for them when it had been so hard during our first month here.

Easter Sunday we were invited to a pitch in that some of the ladies here had arranged. Being the social butterfly that I am, I tried to graciously decline! ;) Cody however, wasn't letting me out of it that easy! They had it all set up in one of the cabanas by the pool and we went down around 6. I've never been to an Easter get together where they served Jell-O shots until now! I did decline those...Jell-O is gross! Anyway, we met people from all over the United States and World. Alabama, Texas, Kentucky, Louisiana,and Britain, Spain,Finland...and more I'm sure I do not remember. There were plenty of kids down there also. Everyone was very nice and all the women offered to take the kids and me around and show us the town. Basically anything or anywhere we wanted to go. One lady named Kat offered to take me to the library! Now that's a woman after my own heart! Haha! We met an older couple here from Alabama, Ziek and Cindy. They have been here for 3 years and will be headed home soon. Ziek talked me into trying sushi. I LOVED it. I'll take that over fried chicken any day! Cindy offered to show me where to go buy the freshest meats and veggies. We sat and chatted with them until 10 pm. In fact, we were some of the last people to leave. It was very nice to meet and hang out with people who I could easily understand!

Since then we have been settling in and adjusting to our final move until we head back to Bedford. It's a different world living in the city and on the 17th floor! It's nice here though because we have a mini market and two restaurants at our complex, plus the pool and a gym. Homeschooling is still an adjustment and not being able to hop in my car and run to the store if I want, but it will all smooth out sooner rather than later. It's all an adventure and part of the learning process!























1 comment: