Monday, July 29, 2013

Week End Get Aways....

Long drives, crowded car, tired kids and parents...that's how our weekend get away started. And I'm a bad road tripper...I always have to stop for a potty break! But we found this little gem at the rest area! 

Cody enjoyed his ice cream so much, he decided to wear it! 

Some day soon, I'll show y'all our car and tell you how fun it is to squeeze in it to go anywhere, but for now here is a preview. 

After 2 1/2 hours on the road, we arrived at our hotel. And apparently so did everyone else. 

 That's 14 buses all full of people staying with us. Party time! Haha! 

We checked in and decided to go out and explore some even though it was already late. We found this...

 
We thought it was Jonker Street, only to find out the next day that it wasn't. It was a Mega Bazzar for Ramandan. Guess that's why the crazy white lady in a strapless dress got so many "looks?!?!" Oh, well! Where else could we have gone to purchase a knock off purse, new kicks, perfume, local food, shirts and jeans all at the same place??? Or some traditional Muslim attire? Also, we got to listen to some traditional music...if you count Eminem and Rihanna as traditional and conservative. I'm still trying to figure out how it's ok to have your wife literally cover every single inch of her skin so that you can only see her eyes and its ok to listen to that???  Oxymoron? Is that the right word? 

Anyway, the only thing we needed up buying was this...

Nan, curry, and nasi goreng ayem....or bread, sauce and chicken with noodles. I'd tell you how it tasted, but I was sooooooo sick I couldn't taste it! Lol!

We saw this awesome tuktuk...

Dude had it going on! 
 
We managed to find our way back to our hotel in the dark with out a GPS. Remember Nathaniel? He's still dead and still hasn't been replaced. We used landmarks and hope to guide us! 

The next morning we got up and headed out for some day time sightseeing. We had some ideas of what we wanted to see, but we didn't have a clue where anything was...so we just walked and winged it. 

We found Jonker Walk! 

 It was full of shops, food, and people. We ventured into a few shops. It was kind of touristy, but we did find a temple and see a few interesting things down there. 





We went back up the street to find lunch. 


 
Well, hello there American food! We love and miss you! ;)

Hard Rock sat right on the river. The view was great. 


After lunch we walked down another street to hopefully find some of the things we wanted to see. We found the Maritime museum, Christ Church and some more nice views! 







 
Inside this ship was the museum. It was a cool thing to see and gave a lot of the history of Melaka and how the area grew and what it was used for. Cody got to actually read a lot more of the info than me...I was busy chasing kids! 
The nerd in me was saaaaad.

 
Tucker was having a ball! 
I love his long hair...I may never let him cut it again! Hehe!

There were lots of different old parts of ships. Lights, means of communication, life savers, etc.  All very cool, very educational and very interesting. 


After we made it through the museum, we walked back up towards the area where our driver was picking us up. We enjoyed seeing all the tuktuks. The drivers went all out decorating them. Some had booming sound systems on them! 



At this point, we were all hot and tired and ready to cool off. 

 Poor fellow is just worn out and HOT! 

Back to our hotel we headed. Cody and the kiddos went down to the pool and Momma took a much needed nap! Remember I was sick? I had a fever, couldn't breath and was coughing and miserable! I sucked it up for as long as I could, but I really needed rest by this point! 




I went down later and snapped these pic, just so I could have them. The kids informed me that the pool guys wouldn't let Cody in this pool because he didn't have proper swim attire. I asked him about it...he said they wanted him in a speedo! I'm sure he could rock it, but he doesn't agree! Hehe! 

That night we went to the food court at the local mall to eat...it was easy and we could actually please everyone there. They have a McDonald's! 

Being sick, I wanted soup and Cody got me this...


It had egg and chicken and I don't know what all else in it. I drank the broth and Cody are the noodles. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't feeling it. I just wanted comfort food! Poor poor pitiful me! Haha! But I will give that man of mine credit, he tried his very best to get me what I wanted. He does a damn fine job of taking care of me, even when I'm a pain in his rear. :) Lucky me. 

After filling everyone's tummies we all wanted showers, tv and rest. Back to the hotel we went, again. Where our Internet service sucked it up. There may have been a few curse words thrown around over the lack of availability of Internet. May have been...

Sunday morning we all jumped out of bed ready to attack the city again and see some more sights! NOT! We were still dragging and tired and knew we had a long crowded drive ahead of us. We had good intentions of going to see some more things, but the heat won out and we decided that we would be ok if we didn't get to see everything. We checked out, loaded up and began our drive home. 

And boy was coming home early worth it. Friday before we left we had received a package from home courtesy of Cody's sister, April. She had smuggled us some pepperoni and we made these beauty's...


Can anyone say Heaven???? OMG! BEST MEAL SINCE FEBRUARY!!!!!! It was delicious! Fantastic! Wonderful! Perfect end to a relaxing, fun weekend. 























No comments:

Post a Comment